Old 06-04-2011, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Beans, danger of cross pollination?

Baz wrote:
My broad bean "Aquadulce Claudia" already have small pods BTW, and "The
Sutton" are about ready to flower.

Mine are only just popping through the ground. :-(
My overwintered ones all got confused by the weather and flowered and died
by January.

I only know of one chap who grows runner bean "Streamline" and I have some
seed from him, (they are rather old) and with what you have said about them
perhaps it's time I gave them a try. I have grown "Scarlet Emperor" since I
started gardening and have found them a bit stringy later on so maybe time
to try something new(to me). Or both.

I have both streamline and emperor! I tend to grow a fairly random
selection, can never tell which is which by the time they fruit. :-)

I am sure that you have resarched growing broad beans, but it will do no
harm if I advise you to nip out the top of each plant when pods have set to
avoid greenfly, THE pest on broad beans from my experience.

My broadbean pests have all been black, not green!