Old 06-04-2011, 10:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Post Hole Digger And Dry Farming Tomatoes This Season

EVP MAN wrote:
This year I'll be trying an experiment in a portion of my tomato garden.
Instead of double digging the whole patch, I'll simply use a post hole
digger and dig down about two and a half foot deep where each plant will
be placed. When I replace the soil, it will be nice and lose to this
depth. This should allow the roots to deep! I will also give dry
farming a try using Early Girl tomatoes which I understand lend
themselves very well to this practice. Dry farming is said to cut size
and yield a bit but gives the fruit a tremendous flavor as well as
texture. I will use 6 -8 plants for this experiment. Has anyone else
ever practiced or had any experience with dry farming? Any advice will
indeed be helpful

Rich from PA

I sometimes grow tall spindly tomato seedlings (when I start them too
early and they outgrow my lights) and I just set them really deep --
basically in a 5 or 6 inch post hole deep enough that only to top 2
sets of leaves are above ground. It works pretty well. The plants
root all along the submerged stem. Putting the plants sideways in a
trench (so the roots aren't so deep) might work better.

Bob