Old 06-04-2011, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Beans, danger of cross pollination?

On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 16:38:40 +0200, David in Normandy
wrote:

On 06/04/2011 16:08, wrote:

[...]

I dried a load last year, but haven't got around to soaking and cooking them
this year yet. But I have assumed that it is the sensible thing to do!

I've tried using runner bean seeds in a similar way, they work
reasonably well if soaked, cooked and put through a blender and mixed
with minced beef for use in chillies or bolognese sauce.

Runner bean seeds are, if I mistake not, "red kidney beans". This
means they're toxic if you don't boil for ten minutes -- if dried
soak, of course. I like the shape and texture, and wouldn't often
blitz them: when I remember (hah!), I cook them separately, and only
add them to the chili at the end to warm them up.

I don't know how long dried beans will keep: after a certain period
(18 months? two years? Just guessing) they won't soften properly,
however long you cook them for.

There are two more broad beany varieties worth trying: one called
"field beans" and the other, "ful (pronounced "fool") medamess". The
plants look just like broad beans, but the seeds are not flat, and
only about the size of a big pea. The "ful medamess" ones have a less
tough skin, and are a much-loved staple in the Middle East, especially
Egypt: absoluitely delicious with lemon juice, olive oil, and hot
bread. If you want to try them, a shop serving Arab stuff will oblige.

I forecast high winds, though...

--
Mike.