Old 06-04-2011, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Beans, danger of cross pollination?

On 06/04/2011 18:13, Mike Lyle wrote:
On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 16:38:40 +0200, David in Normandy
wrote:

On 06/04/2011 16:08, wrote:

[...]

I dried a load last year, but haven't got around to soaking and cooking them
this year yet. But I have assumed that it is the sensible thing to do!

I've tried using runner bean seeds in a similar way, they work
reasonably well if soaked, cooked and put through a blender and mixed
with minced beef for use in chillies or bolognese sauce.

Runner bean seeds are, if I mistake not, "red kidney beans". This
means they're toxic if you don't boil for ten minutes -- if dried
soak, of course. I like the shape and texture, and wouldn't often
blitz them: when I remember (hah!), I cook them separately, and only
add them to the chili at the end to warm them up.

Red kidney bean beans are smaller than runner bean beans, so they must
be a different variety at least. I find it all rather confusing. Even
the garden centre has at least thirty different types / varieties of
"beans" for sale - and from what someone said in another post broad
beans and runner beans aren't even related! The word "bean" seems to be
somewhat generic in usage and confusing for an old has-bean like me. LOL.

I don't know how long dried beans will keep: after a certain period
(18 months? two years? Just guessing) they won't soften properly,
however long you cook them for.

I don't know how long they keep for edible purposes, but I've planted
runner bean seeds that I'd gathered five years earlier and they all
germinated!

There are two more broad beany varieties worth trying: one called
"field beans" and the other, "ful (pronounced "fool") medamess". The
plants look just like broad beans, but the seeds are not flat, and
only about the size of a big pea. The "ful medamess" ones have a less
tough skin, and are a much-loved staple in the Middle East, especially
Egypt: absoluitely delicious with lemon juice, olive oil, and hot
bread. If you want to try them, a shop serving Arab stuff will oblige.

I forecast high winds, though...

The windiness can be reduced by letting the beans soak in three or four
changes of boiling water over 24 hours prior to using them. Tip c/o Nick
Maclaren (spelling uncertain).

--
David in Normandy.

by a filter and not reach my inbox.