Old 11-04-2011, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Blossom tree with 2 types of blossom

On 10/04/2011 21:40, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Jo
writes
Whilst looking at a neighbour's pink blossom tree today I noticed that
one
very large thick branch had produced white blossom of a completely
different
shape and size to the pink blooms on all the other branches. A bit of a
mystery. Can anyone explain how this can happen?

Explanation 1: the white blossom is from the rootstock.

But would it have taken so long to flower? Most cherries (assuming it
is a cherry) flower when quite small.

Explanation 2: the white blossom is a sport.

If the branch was fairly new then explanation 2 might be correct, but
according to the OP it is a "very large thick branch". I can't see how
this could suddenly become a sport. Maybe a new branch off that branch,
but the branch itself - surely that's very unlikely.

From the colour of the flowers it sounds to be a type of cherry. I
have no idea how the grafts take place in these trees, but wonder if
something like a chimaera has suddenly come to the fore. The change in
flower shape and colour suggests a major difference to the original
flowers. Is this at all possible?

--

Jeff