Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
lynsey

Default Problem - Nymphaea Maculata (red african tiger lotus lily)

Hey,
Theres now a root tab next to its roots. Its API's root tabs. Hopefully that
will work.
Theres 3 remaining stems coming out of the root - but 2 of them are all
transculent and going-to-fall-off-soon looking. Theres one still going
strong though.
I really hope it does start sending off a shoot or too soon. But im
pesamistic so think it wont! How long do you think would be resonable for
it to send out a new shoot?
My disbelief in the plant comes from the fact that it does not have the bulb
attached - its only a lttle bit of root there. But, on the other hand my
biology side is saying that the bulbs only there to provide the seed with
food when it was firstly dispersed!

Also, from the company that i ordered the plant from, it said that it needed
'below average flourescent'.(the link i gave out before) That was one of
the resons i chose it!

Thanks again,
Lynsey.
"LeighMo" wrote in message
How deep should i have in planted then? its probably only 1cm from the

top
of gravel. Do you think thats ok?

Yes, that should be okay. It will produce more roots, and go deeper on

its
own.

Do you have a preffered make of root tabs? Should it be high iron im

looking
for?

I'm in the U.S., so I'm not sure naming brands would do any good. But I

give
mine Flourish tabs (which are iron and other trace elements), as well as

AP
Plant Tabs or Jobe's spikes (which have nitrogen, potassium, and

phosphate).

I dont have additional CO2 added - but i have fish!!! they do that for

me!
Its only a 10g (Uk) tank that is quite heavily stocked, but i think it is
balanced out by the fact it is resonably heavily planted. Thats my theory
anyway and it worls for me!

These plants need a lot of light. If you don't need to inject CO2, you
probably don't have enough light for one of these plants. At the very

least,
it will lose a lot of its red color.

I dunno, maybe it will be okay, since you only have a 10 gallon tank. The
plant will be close to the lights. But if it does grow for you, it will
quickly outgrow a 10 gallon tank.

My first tiger lotus was given to me, because it had outgrown its owner's

29
gallon tank. They can get to be immense, over 2' tall, with leaves 8" or

more
across.

Leigh