Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Dustin

Default Algae removal- SAEs, otos, or plecos?

Ive read that you need at least 5 SAE's for them to be happy, otherwise they
chase the other fish.... Is this true?

Dustin

"Bruce Geist" wrote in message
Don't get plecos or Farlowellas (stick fish). I have one Pleco in my tank
now that is knawing holes in all my broad-leaf plants.

SAEs are wonderful fish. As you found out, it is important to know how to
identify them. This fish is easily confused with other fish.. Fins

should
be clear, stripe on the body should extend all the way through the tail.

See
http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/ for more information. They are
the only fish known to eat red algae. IME, SAEs will get to 4 or 5 inches
in a matter of 6 to 8 months. They may well get too big for a 15 gallon
tank. You could get two or three SAEs, then upgrade to a bigger tank in

few months!

Otherwise, maybe you should stick with Ottos.

-Bruce Geist

"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote in message
. ..
What's a good combination for algae removal? I have a 15 gal tank with

three
otocinclus. Every week I barely have to clean the glass.

Plecos are good glass cleaners and sometimes when they are small the do

some
good algae eating...but I heard when they grow larger their diet changes

and
they start eating plants. Of course, in my experience with them a few

years
back I know after they grow larger they start getting lazy and they

bumble
about messing everything up. I've heard of and seen the neat looking
bristlenose pleco. Does it stay really nice and small and clean things

up
without eating plants etc.?? As far as I can remember those things are
really expensive at the LFS ($45CAN).

What about siamese algae eaters? A few years ago I had been burned by a

few
that I now believe were Chinese algae eaters and all they did was chase

fish
around and pretend to clean algae. Are SAEs totally non-agressive like

otos
are? For a 15 gal tank, do they stay nice and small like otos? I don't

like
to overpopulate my tank with algae eaters and force the more decorative

fish
out.

Right now I have 3 otocinclus, 2 bronze cats, and a betta. I have

ordered
5
dwarf neon rainbows from a breeder and they will be added in the next

month
or so. Any room for more fish ??

Any opinions? THANX!!