Old 16-04-2011, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alan.holmes alan.holmes is offline

Default What is the best way to support tomatoes?

"Janet" wrote in message
In article 0cf8c7aa-7ad3-491b-b893-5b80cb224741
@a11g2000pro.googlegroups.com, says...

On Apr 16, 1:16 pm, Baz wrote:
harry wrote in news:c669daa2-9cb3-4a2d-ab20-
:

On Apr 15, 9:19 pm, "alan.holmes" wrote:
Should one use dozens of canes or is there a simple and cheap way to
do
this?

Alan

If they are in a greenhouse you need dangling strings. Wind the string
round the plant as it grows. Obviously you need a substantial place
to attach the strings to.
Outdoors you need canes or grow bush varieties.

I have used dangling strings outside next to my fence and on the wall
ever
since I started gardening a few years ago. It works perfectly and you
can
adjust them very easily.
You can use this method for runner beans too, but early in the season
the
string has to be anchored to floor/soil to enable the beans to grab the
string and start climbing. At the end of the season throw the lot on the
compost heap, the string will rot too. Not of course synthetics, it has
be degradable string(very easy to obtain)

If you have open ground and want to use this method please tell me. I
have
an answer, a bit long winded and pricey (£15ish)but will pay for its
self
over and over.

Baz

In the US they use tomato cages, Google tomato cages in Images for
ideas.

You can improvise a US-style outdoor tomato cage with lengths of
rylock stock fence tied into a circle with a ziptie.

What is rylock stock fence?

And what is a ziptie!

And where will I get them?

Alan