Old 16-04-2011, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French chris French is offline

Default What is the best way to support tomatoes?

In message
,
harry writes
On Apr 15, 9:19*pm, "alan.holmes" wrote:
Should one use dozens of canes or is there a simple and cheap way to do
this?

Alan

If they are in a greenhouse you need dangling strings. Wind the string
round the plant as it grows. Obviously you need a substantial place
to attach the strings to.
Outdoors you need canes or grow bush varieties.

I prefer canes in the GH myself.

I have a wire fixed between the end of the Gh near the roof. I clip the
canes to it with these natty clips from Medwyns:

http://www.medwynsofanglesey.co.uk/shop/SUNDRIES/Jiff-Clip/prod_6.html

They work really well, and are much , much quicker than tying up canes.
We use them for canes for the climbing beans as well.
--
Chris French