Old 20-04-2003, 07:20 AM
Dave Millman

Default Algae removal- SAEs, otos, or plecos?

"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote:

What's a good combination for algae removal? I have a 15 gal tank with three
otocinclus. Every week I barely have to clean the glass.

Plecos are good glass cleaners and sometimes when they are small the do some
good algae eating...but I heard when they grow larger their diet changes and
they start eating plants.

While I will not disparage otos or SAEs, since both earn their keep in my tank,
the term "pl*co" includes a lot of very different fish. Specifically, bushynose
catfish (ancistrus sp) only grow to about 5 inches long, and are aggressive
algae eaters their whole lives. Get a pair and treat them right and they'll
breed as well, which will finance your plant hobby quite well!