Old 23-04-2011, 02:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Dwarf pears for zone 5

I'm more interested in good tasting pears than high-yields or ease of
cultivation.

That said--- I'm in Zone 5 in NY & I think I'd like a couple dwarf
pears for the back yard. I buy a dozen pears every year and am lucky
to get 4 good ones.

I ought to do a little better fighting squirrels in the back yard.
[and I'm already fighting them for veggies, peaches and cherries so
that won't be a new battle]

What variety would you go for? I like to eat a *good* pear out of
hand-- but I've really gotten a taste for pears with a little
gorgonzola and honey dressing.

If there is a good canning pear, I might be tempted to can some for
winter.

Jim