Old 23-04-2011, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default Dwarf pears for zone 5

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 08:13:15 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

I'm more interested in good tasting pears than high-yields or ease of
cultivation.

That said--- I'm in Zone 5 in NY & I think I'd like a couple dwarf
pears for the back yard. I buy a dozen pears every year and am lucky
to get 4 good ones.

I ought to do a little better fighting squirrels in the back yard.
[and I'm already fighting them for veggies, peaches and cherries so
that won't be a new battle]

What variety would you go for? I like to eat a *good* pear out of
hand-- but I've really gotten a taste for pears with a little
gorgonzola and honey dressing.

If there is a good canning pear, I might be tempted to can some for
winter.

My advice is always to check with your local extension office for
information geared to your area. There is one in almost every county
in the US.

http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/index.html

--
USA