Old 23-04-2011, 07:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default Dwarf pears for zone 5

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I'm more interested in good tasting pears than high-yields or ease of
cultivation.

That said--- I'm in Zone 5 in NY & I think I'd like a couple dwarf
pears for the back yard. I buy a dozen pears every year and am lucky
to get 4 good ones.

I ought to do a little better fighting squirrels in the back yard.
[and I'm already fighting them for veggies, peaches and cherries so
that won't be a new battle]

What variety would you go for? I like to eat a *good* pear out of
hand-- but I've really gotten a taste for pears with a little
gorgonzola and honey dressing.

If there is a good canning pear, I might be tempted to can some for
winter.

Jim

Look into seckle pears.

http://www.oregonlive.com/foodday/in...pears_are_deli
cately_sw.html

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow." - Anon

Seckle pears aka "candy pears" are quite small, but the tree bears a huge
crop.They are many times sweeter than the ordinary pear. When dried they are
very much like candy. Comice and Moonglow are very good for "out of hand"
eating. Easiest to grow is probably Keiffer, but they tend to be gritty and
difficult to eat, very good cider pear though. Bartlett is always a good
eating pear but is disease prone. Anjou and Bosc are European imports that
are good as well. The secret to a good pear is in the picking. Around here,
the old-timers say to pick the whole crop when the first ripe one falls.
Allow them to slowly ripen in a cool cellar. A tree ripened pear is not a
good thing.
HTH,
Steve