Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Eric Schreiber

Default Algae removal- SAEs, otos, or plecos?

(Allen Smith) wrote:

I would get 1 or 2 brigesi snails, they are by far the best algae and
leftover food eaters.

Is that the same as the "Pomacea Bridges" Mystery Snails? If so, I had
a bad time with them in my little tank.

I put three of the snails (each about 1 inch in size) into a three
gallon tank with a betta, and three stalks each of wisteria and
anacharis. Hmm. Lot of threes there.

Anyway, within just a few days, these snails had chewed through the
base of every one of the plant stalks.

It's not like they didn't have anything else to eat, either. Though
the tank was quite new and didn't have any algae, I had been dropping
in a half wafer of Hikari Algae Wafers each day. The snails ate these,
as well.

I'm sure if I could hear them, they'd be making snorting noises.

Anyhow, I've had to remove the plants from the tank and settle for
feeding the snails on just wafers. They're still quite cool, but I'd
really hesitate to use them in a planted tank.

--
www.ericschreiber.com