Old 26-02-2003, 04:51 AM
Warren

Default power tiller: to get or not to get one

pgh wrote:

I know this is subjective, but just to get a feeling for things,
could the experienced gardeners among you tell me how large should
your garden be in order to justify buying a powered tiller.

I have a bias toward simple things, but I figure at some point
doing things by hand is just too much.

Please, shower me with your opinions!

If you have the time, energy and motivation to do it by hand, the
measurements of the area don't mean a thing. Save your money, and spend
it on something that enhances your life in more measurable ways.

If you don't have the time, or the energy, or the motivation to do it by
hand, then you probably want to buy one -- assuming that your garden
isn't so small that positioning the tiller is more work than digging by
hand!

I make this on the assumption that renting a tiller (and possibly a
trailer to transport it -- or delivery), or hiring someone else to do it
will have cost more in a couple of years than the price of the tiller.
The exception to this would be if you're on friendly terms with a
neighbor who'll let you borrow his/her tiller at no cost.

Oh... I just thought of one other exception. If you have slave labor
available (read: your kids) that can do the hand digging for you, the
extra food cost will be offset by the money you'll save by not having to
pay someone or someplace to keep them occupied.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.