Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Eric Schreiber

Default Algae removal- SAEs, otos, or plecos?

(Allen Smith) wrote:

if you had just purchased the wisteria and
anarcharis, the bases of them were most likely rotten or close to
being rotten and perhaps that is why they were going after that

Quite possible - the wisteria was just bought, and the anacharis was
rescued from my big tank where it had floated loose from the
substrate. So high probability of stem rot in both cases.

They are hungry critters 3 of them in a 15 gallon would have probably
devoured the tank as you mentioned, I would have placed only 1 in a
tank that size.

Hmm. Maybe I should increase to a whole algae wafer each day. I've no
doubt they could eat it all!

Another criquite is that they were in with a betta which are voracious
(too strong perhaps), but well known snail eaters and harassers

The betta did indeed pick on them at first, but now he ignores them.
He makes great efforts to kill any fish I try to add to the tank, so
it's pretty much just him and the snails now.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the snails.

Oh, it wasn't bad. I enjoy them a lot and am glad I have them as
they're pretty interesting (finding snails interesting can't be a good
sign). Luckily I had several fake plants I could put in the tank to
make it look less bare.

--
www.ericschreiber.com