Old 20-04-2003, 07:20 AM
Dave Millman

Default Substrate Heater

Craig Brye wrote:

Another question I have is on the substrate itself. At what point does a
person need to worry about messing with the substrate (vacuuming, stirring,
etc.). I've had my tank for about a year now and haven't really done much
with the Flourite substrate. I do, however, vacuum the gravel, but only the
very top debris.

I haven't vacuumed my Flourite substrate in more than a year. Nothing gathers on
the top-my guess is that the bottom feeders stir everyting up enough that the
filter gets it. Inevitable clouds of mulm occur when replanting, but they settle
out within a day.