Old 28-04-2011, 02:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Overwintered onions

Last year I planted a row of onion sets. Ate about half of them as
spring onions and left the rest in the ground to harvest as dry onions
in the fall. They went dormant in late summer, then just as I was ready
to dig them in late fall they sprouted again. So I left them in the ground.

They came up again about a month ago -- in little bunches. Today I dug
two of 'em to see what I had, and was surprised to see each was now 5 or
6 bulbless onion plants with lots of roots. They look kind of like
scallions but stockier. I expected a golf ball- to tennis ball-sized
rotten onion with sprouts in the middle. (Maybe if I had dug them a
month ago they were rotten onions.)

I'm thinking I should divide these and plant them again? Do you think
they will bulb, or will they try to bloom?

-Bob