Old 20-04-2003, 07:20 AM
HDH

Default laterite + gravel + moving plants around = mess?

Thanks to all for the valuable info. If I may, one brief follow-up:

Is there any down side to going with flourite but keeping the tank lightly
or moderately planted? Algae, perhaps, or something else I should consider?

Thanks again. This ng is great.
Howard

"LeighMo" wrote in message
1. Will the Laterite make a mess of the tank when I do this?

Yes.

2. Will fluorite be better in this regard?

Yes. IMO, this is the big advantage of Flourite (or Onyx), and what makes

it
worth the cost. You can rearrange and replant to your heart's content,

without
making a mess.

Also, Flourite lasts forever. Laterite eventually gets exhausted, and

must be
replaced.

3. Is it possible to have plants do just fine with just plain gravel?

Not really. There's a reason people put up with messy laterite, or shell

out
the money for Flourite.

Some plants aren't heavy rootfeeders, and don't need an enriched

substrate.
And if your gravel is very old and well-used, it might be enriched enough

(with
fish droppings and such). But in general, a good substrate is as

necessary as
decent lighting to a planted tank.

Leigh