Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
chet

Default newbie needs to learn about plants

It is too early to tell for any of the plants. They all arrived healthy,
but the bunches are only a week or so old and I simply may not have had
enough time to completely destroy them yet. They is no obvious brown
devastation so I take that as a good sign. I note that after two hours of
55W light, and Fluorite substrate, bubbles start to appear on the swords. I
think that is what some have referred to as "pearling", and that this is a
positive indicator?

I don't even qualify as a novice in planted tanks. However, I have been
avidly lurking on this list. Even though keeping a spartan tank for my
daughter's goldfish was really easy, I couldn't take it and wanted it to
look a little more "natural". I would have probably chosen another species
of fish if it were my choice.

BTW, I think that the anacharis was added to the mix to distract the
goldfish from grazing on the other plants. From what I have come to
understand, Anacharis is generally regarded by goldfish as a tasty "salad
bar". My daughter's juvenile goldfish do not appear to have discovered this
little treat.....yet.

I have a quick hack URL with the specific plants in my 29G goldfish
aquarium. http://home.surewest.net/chet/aquariumplants.htm. This picture was
taken two days after receiving the plants via FedEx. I'm missing some bits
and would appreciate any additional information beyond what I have been able
to find so far.

All of the pictures at this URL, and most of the side information, was
pulled directly from http://www.trueaquariumplants.com.
They were great to work with and I most heartily recommend them.

I guess you could call me a new fan.

chet

"Eric Schreiber" wrote in message
"chet" chet-at-surewestDOTnet wrote:

Here is a picture of my 29G tank
The plants were not yet settled in and rooting, but so far,
all is working as advertised.
http://home.surewest.net/chet/tank2.jpg

How is your anacharis doing over time? Mine started out lush and full
looking like yours, and though it grows like mad long-wise, it's
getting pretty spindly looking, with comparatively low leaf density.

Maybe it's not really growing, but just stretching

--
www.ericschreiber.com