Old 29-04-2011, 02:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default to till or not to till?

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 19:34:21 -0700 (PDT), Ted Shoemaker
wrote:

Hello,

The last time I asked a question on this group, I got some good advice
and some outrageousness. It was all fun. Let's see if we can do that
again.

(I'm not qualified to give much advice on a garden group.)

I've read websites and print articles that say I SHOULD and that I
SHOULDN'T till my garden soil. What do you think?

Here are the particulars:
The area in question is about 5 feet by 40 feet, rich dark soil with
lots of clay, in Zone 6B. I want to plant a wildflower mix (both
annuals and perennials). Until recently, the area was covered with
lawn grass and weeds. I sprayed a supposedly eco-friendly plant-
killer to clear it out. (How can a plant killer be eco-friendly?)

After the recommended waiting period of 7 days, I started to iron-rake
the grass away.

How well should I clear the dead grass & weeds?

I want to clear them out, so that the new flower seeds (yet to be
planted) can sprout. But the more I disrupt the soil, the less
fertile it is. And there's the question of not-quite-dead grass
reviving and getting in the way.

Is this one of those areas where "the jury is still out"? If so, then
I can do anything and there's a chance I'll be right. Or is there
definitely a yes-or-no answer?

Thank you for all answers.

Ted Shoemaker

If you applied a defolient (WTF did you do such a moronic thing) I'd
not recommend planting any seed, especially not mixed wildflower seed
for at least a full year... then till... for wildflowers till deep (at
least 10").