Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Dave Millman

Default how deep to make flourite bed?

"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote:

I will be getting some flourite next month for my aquarium. The 7kg bag of
flourite says it covers a typical 10 gal with 2 inches. I have a 15 gal,
I'll need 2 bags then. How deep do you think I should make the bed?

The 2 inch target is good. It is not necessary to make it deeper, and
shallower doesn't give much room for roots to develop.

If cost is an issue, mix with SIMILAR SIZE GRAVEL to get to 2 inches. Keep at
least 50% Flourite in your mix. If you use sand, it will settle to the bottom
rather quickly. If you use larger gravel, you will make it hard to keep plants
rooted, and it will eventually separate too.

Flourite tends to separate from gravel or sand because it is different shape
(flatter chips, rather than rounder pebbles) and lighter density. Mixing only
with similar size gravel slows or stops the tendency.