Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Rick

Default DIY co2 question

"Dave" wrote in message
"Rick" empowered us with this mighty blow against
the Patriarchy:

I have two one gallon jugs set up for a co2 system, airline tubing
from both into one valve and then tubing with a check valve into the
tank. My tank is filtered with a Fluval 404 canister filter. Can the
tubing be run into the water intake ?.

Many people do this, although Hagen warns against it. I wrote to them

once
about this, and a tech support person wrote back saying that the impeller
is meant to run in water, not in a CO2 bubble, and that the motor could
burn out. But evidently a lot of people don't have this problem, so YMMV.

I'm wondering about the co2
traveling through the sponges, batting, ceramic rings and finally bio
max and then out rather forcefully from the output. Would this work or
would it be better to put in sometype of powerhead and run the tubing
into that? Thx in advance.

I think that the Fluval would probably chop up the bubbles and disperse

the
CO2 better than a powerhead. Some people (including myself) have run

their
CO2 line into a Duetto DJ50 internal filter and had success. Right now

I'm
using the diffuser of the Hagen "Natural CO2 System" (see

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...=6&pCatId=8981
) and it works fine. Less visible than the Duetto.

thx Dave, that diffuser looks like maybe the route to go.

Rick