Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM

Default shrimp

Shrimp don't ever seem to mind that I have no heater at all. I've kept
them this way for many years now. I have warmer summer temps, cooler
winter etc.

Once adjusted and eating fish food and fattened up, these shrimp are
actually agressive. They ate some 1 inch long wimpy bait minnows I put
in after they had established themselves.

They are quite hardy if you maintain good plant health=good shrimp
health.

They are very good at eating most all attached algae species. They are
not good for old BBA, green spot, Staghorn or Green water.
Pretty much everything else is attacked.

If you ask the LFS for lots of 50 or 100, I get them here for and
elsewhere for 68$ per 100.
The red cherry and the crystal reds especially are hot and will
hopefully come down in price later, since they are breedable, much
more so than the Amano's, they should drop in price. They are smaller
also. Bumble bee shrimp are also very nice.

A pack of shrimp is really a good thing to have, they are the best
algae eater I've seen but folks often add one or two to a 20 gallon
tank and then complain they do not do anything. Add 15-20 of them and
they will.

The number can be increased or decreased to suit almost any sized
tank.
SAE's cannot do that, they get too big and get lazy.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr