Old 02-05-2011, 08:43 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Johnl Johnl is offline

Default Shade grass seed. Does it exsist?

I understand that Blue Spruce need acid soil to remain blue.

"The Henchman" wrote in message

"willshak" wrote in message
m...

The Henchman wrote the following:
I have a part of my lawn underneath a Blue Spruce tree. I want to mix in
some new dirt under the tree to counter the damage caused by 40 years of
dropped needles, but what do I look for in grass seed that can grow in
shade?

...and in acidic soil, you mean.

I was going to mix calcium carbonate and starter fertilizer to balance out
the acidity, but my concern is finding grass that grows in shade before I
do anything.

Without finding a type of grass that can deal with the all day shade it
might not be worth the trouble.