Old 05-05-2011, 12:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Too many tomato plants

On Wed, 4 May 2011 20:47:14 +0000, TheMaverick
wrote:

Hi all,
I’m a VERY armature gardener and this year I decided to grow my own
tomatoes. I bought 3 seed packets and planted all 3 packets into 3 seed
trays. The seedlings have grown and I now have around 80 separate tomato
plants ready to plant out. I thought I could plant them all into 3-4
grow bags but I have since been told that I should only have 3-4
plants per bag. I don’t have space for more than about 4 grow bags so
that leaves me with a lot of seedlings left over!
Does any one have any suggestions what I can do with these? I would
like to keep as many as possible but space is a real issue ( I live in
London!) I do have a small flower bed and was considering planting a
few directly into the soil?

Many help for any ideas

Plant as many as you have room for, crowding will not improve the
yield. Put some in the flower garden. Give the spares to friends and
neighbours.

David