Old 10-05-2011, 11:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] mjciccarel@gmail.com is offline

Default Broken Tomatoes

On May 9, 9:11*pm, "Steve Peek" wrote:
wrote in message

The wind, the deer something broke of my tomato plants at about 3
inches off the ground. I left the "stubs" and they seem to be ok, just
getting a slow re start. I took the tops of the plants and put them in
water. They are developing roots. How long should I let these new
roots before I put them back in the ground? *Also these "tops" are
full of flowers. Will they still turn into tomatoes as they would have
if they were not disturbed? Experience? Ideas?
Thanks, MJ

I think you can replant those tops any time so long as you can keep them
moist. The flowers will probably drop, but more will come. If it happens
again you might try splinting them back together. I've had rather good luck
with tomato vines knitting back together just like a broken bone repairing
itself.
Steve

Thanks, I can do that. Splinting was not an option, there was no
attachment left at all.