Old 17-05-2011, 05:04 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Willshak Willshak is offline

Default Does spiking the lawn help?

Duncan Munday wrote the following:
Hi all

I have read somewhere that it is good to spike the lawn every so often,
is this correct?

I must admit our lawn is rock hard at the moment so i assume like to
borders need digging over the lawn would need the same.

Any advice welcomed, what to use? how often?

Thanks

It depends upon where you are and what kind of soil you have.
Here in the Hudson Valley (carved out by glaciers) the soil is mostly
clay and lots of rocks.
I have a spike aerator, and in many parts of the lawn, the blades often
just ride on top of the ground. I am glad I dig not waste money on the
more expensive core aerator.
The county below me is called Rockland (it used to be a part of my
county) and for good reason.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY