Old 12-01-2011, 02:28 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Super Cold Coming

JB wrote:

Weather reports are predicting 3 consecutive days of sub freezing
temperature with drops into the single digits. We usually don't get that
cold so I have some concerns about my pond water becoming super chilled.
Last time this happened I draped a large plastic trap over the pond to
try and hold in some warmth. It seemed to work. I've left up the
bird/leave netting for the GBH so it will be a simple thing to toss the
tarp over the board supports for that.

I suppose it depends a lot on what animals & plants you are caring
for--and how big your pond is.

Anyone else do anything out of the ordinary when the temperature gets
this low?

If the temp goes down to 0F at night- and isn't due to go above 20F
the next day, I plug my stock tank heater in. Otherwise the heat
from the pump keeps things moving.

The only fish I have are Rosy Reds. They come out to the opening
below the falls some days to see if the world is still here. Otherwise
they hang out in the deep end that is covered with ice and snow.

The tender plants are in the basement under lights.

I love the pond in winter. The ice comes and goes on a whim, and it
never looks the same 2 days in a row.

Jim