Old 21-02-2011, 01:23 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default How is the bad weather affecting you?

my plastic "tent"

Was it a combination of snow & wind, or age? I know my screen material is
showing its age. This winter when the pipes froze up late at night, we had
to get an air stone into the water in the upper pond. My DS found a small
hole in the screen.... he pushed gently and the airstone enlarged the hole
to the exact size, way tooooo easily. If an animal wanted to get in, I
doubt it would take much. Hot wire still on to prevent that.

I didn't put one over our berm ponds this year. That has meant no
damage to the plastic :} But it also means the hyacinth were hit with
20 degree weather. I wait to see how much has survived the freezes.
About a month to a month and a half will let me know! Jim

Will be interesting to know if WH survive that weather unprotected. ~ jan

Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us