Old 07-04-2011, 05:23 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Green Water

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 15:07:47 EDT, "Patrick" wrote:

Ok folks, I'm about to give up. My pond is in the middle of my house (think
a square donut) so, even though outside I get little exposure to the
predators. It is small at about 500-ish gallons and has just 3 Koi. The
largest is about 12" with the smallest at about 8".

I have done what I can to stop the growth of the algae but even after
draining 3/4 of the volume, treating with an algaecide, adding beneficial
bacteria, I can't seem to get control of this. No string algae just really,
really green water. I'm considering putting the fish in a temp 50-60 gallon
container and running a bleach solution through the system (post cleaning).

It's either this or sending them off to the Otter Exposed pond at my friends
house..

Hi Patrick,

What kind of filter do you have on this pond?

Algaecides do not help, but hurt. The water change was a good start, but
probably too big in one time. Better, is 10% every day, at most when the
water is green. Especially since you have no build up of algae on the
sides, that's what conquers green water. Adding bacteria good, if you have
a good enough filter. Course, the algaecide killed it too.

Describe your filtration and how many gallons you're pumping, where the
pump & filter are located, in or out of the pond. How good are your skills
at DIY set-ups? ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us