Old 08-04-2011, 12:56 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Patrick Patrick is offline

Default Green Water

Ok thanks. The rock walls of this pond are generally black but there is no
string/hair type algae. Just green water!

Jan, I don't really know the gallonage but I'd guess I turn the pond water
over a couple times an hour or more. There is a skimmer at the outflow end
with a net (catches leaves) infront of a green filter (2" thick) that is
clearly not going to remove anything finer than pine needles (at least not
much finer). From sthat outflow end water gets pumped to the head where it
flows through a lava rock bag and overflows to the waterfall and back to the
pond.

I'm worried that I have the most stressed fish in the state. I inherited
these when I bought the house 6 years ago and it has admittedly been a PITA
since. I keep believing it doesn't have to be that way.

Still, changing 75% of the water results in a pretty green within 3 days.

I'll do what you all tell me to do..

--
Patrick Fischer
Olalla, WA

"Jim" wrote in message
Jan has a great point about the black algae you will have on the
sides...as your pond gets established. Cleaned, it won't have the
side hair algae.