Old 09-04-2011, 03:22 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Patrick Patrick is offline

Default Green Water

Thanks Jan,
No not much falling in as it is surrounded by the house. There are only 3
fish (Larry, Curley and Roy) all in the 2-3 pound range.

I've done water tests. None have ever caused any concern. PH is in line,
I've never had an ammonia reading and nitrites seem to be in line. I seem to
be routinely low on salt so I add that periodically to the bottom end of the
skimmer where the pump is located.

Ok, no more algecide. I can get plants (hyacinth) and corral them easily.
Will do so tomorrow. More the better I presume..

Thank you all!!

More to come.
--
Patrick Fischer
Olalla, WA

"~ jan" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 19:56:27 EDT, "Patrick"
wrote:

Ok thanks. The rock walls of this pond are generally black but there is no
string/hair type algae. Just green water!

Jan, I don't really know the gallonage but I'd guess I turn the pond water
over a couple times an hour or more. There is a skimmer at the outflow end
with a net (catches leaves) infront of a green filter (2" thick) that is
clearly not going to remove anything finer than pine needles (at least not
much finer). From sthat outflow end water gets pumped to the head where it
flows through a lava rock bag and overflows to the waterfall and back to
the
pond.

I'm worried that I have the most stressed fish in the state. I inherited
these when I bought the house 6 years ago and it has admittedly been a
PITA
since. I keep believing it doesn't have to be that way.

Still, changing 75% of the water results in a pretty green within 3 days.

I'll do what you all tell me to do..

Doesn't sound like you have enough bio-area for the good bacteria. As far
as the black algae, I've always considered black to be dead? Green is what
you want. Don't worry too much about the fish, some say they actually like
green water.

Your turn over rate sounds great, so I'm thinking more along the lines of
patience. Believe it or not this actually will be less work and less
stressful. Add your bacteria as directed, do 10-20% water changes every
day
to every other day. If there is an overflow, you could do a trickle flow
thru, that's what many koi people are doing now, where there is a constant
fresh in, old out, by putting a carbon filter (for frig water lines) on
the
end of the hose.

The important thing is do not use any more algaecide and if you don't have
plants get some. Water hyacinths are great, they will shade the water and
don't have to be planted. You will have to corral them so they don't end
up
in the skimmer. You might want to get a finer pad for the skimmer, as I'm
sure you don't have much falling in the pond. IIRC, it is surrounded by
the
house?

Remind me how many fish, type and size? If you're feeding them, cut back
till water clears.

Do you have any water tests, you could take a sample in to the pet store,
but having your own tests are best. Ammonia, Nitrite, pH & KH are the ones
that can tell me if more is going on that we have to worry about.
Currently
though the green water is keeping your fish safe, it is eating the fish
waste. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us