Old 25-05-2011, 07:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Canna Facts and Canna Care

zxcvbob wrote:

I've never been able to store cannas over the winter. They always dry
out and die by January. I could store them in a plastic bag to prevent
that, but then they would rot. I'm in Minnesota, so I can't just leave
them in the ground.

are you storing them in a cool location?

next time try storing them in damp peat
moss (wet it down let it sit for a day and
then drain it well) you want it damp but
not dripping or soggy. then it will keep
the roots in better shape and yes, in a
cool location.

if left in a mostly covered container (one
that has a few holes for air, but not enough
to dry things out quickly) you should be able
to go a month in between moisture checks.

once a month take the bin and dump it out
and remove any obviously rotting roots and
make sure the moisture level is damp but not
soggy and you should be good to go.

songbird