Old 26-05-2011, 07:15 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
The Ghost in The Machine The Ghost in The Machine is offline

Default Drainage for cherry tree!

On May 26, 12:23*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

*mm wrote:
Bought a cherry tree today.

Read that drainage is important. *I have a lot of clay. *Even if I fix
up the soil in the hole I make, I'm worried about everything under
that.

Dig a hole much, much larger than the rootball. Maybe 3-4 times the
diameter and 3-4 times the depth, at least. Put good soil in there. I'd
mix some sand in with the clay you have, and get some planting mix. Then
mix the planting mix and the sand-amended clay 1/2 and 1/2. *It'll be
fine.

SHOULDN'T HE PLACE SOME STONES OR ROCKS IN THE BOTTOM FIRST?
THIS WILL KEEP IT FROM SITTING IN ANY WATER ACCUMULATION.
TGITM