Old 20-04-2003, 07:21 AM
Cannibul

Default algae bloom

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 18:15:52 -0500, "Doug Sheely"
wrote:

I need some advice please. My recently converted fish only 55 gallon to a
planted tank has a severe algae problem. When I converted to a planted tank
I increased my lighting to a 110 watt power compact strip light on for about
10-12 hours a day. After converting a month ago I had some algae growth but
it wasn't too bad and I was able to control it by scraping the sides and 25
% weekly water changes. Today the tank is totally green with algae that
appears to be in the water. My plants are doing OK. Here are my water
readings as of today:
PH 7.8
nitrate 20ppm
ammonia 0
nitrite .10 ppm
KH 322.2 ppm

I hope this is a typo as it makes your hardness 18.5 dh. That means
you with that pH you don't have hardly any CO2 in the water. Also
your nitrates are rather high. Do you know what your PO4 level is?
What fertilizers are you dosing? If you have a micron filter going
you should not have green water.

GH 35.8 ppm
co2 injection 18 bubbles per minute from bottle into co2 reactor.
hob canister filter with micron filter installed.
Fish Load :
4 med angels
1 rainbow shark
2 black skirt tetras
3 bala sharks
2 pearl gouramis
1 silver tip shark
1 pleco
2 pictus cats
2 big cats ???
1 clown loach
substrate small gravel
Sorry for such a long post but I would appreciate any comments or
suggestions.