Old 20-04-2003, 07:22 AM
Barry

Default co2 DIY slowing down...when to change bottle?

I recommend removing all the liquid, not adding more yeast. The yeast
is not the problem, it's either they run out of sugar or the alcohol
concentration gets too high. I usually pour out the entire mixture,
leaving the nasty film of yeast on the bottom of the bottle. Then
replace with fresh sugar water, mix, and let them recover. I get quite
a few "charges" out of this method.
--Barry

In article ,
"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote:

Jody, I've taken your advice and added another1/4 teas. of yeast to my
mixture (I first dissolved the yeast in a tad of cold water before adding it
to the bottle). I've sloshed everything up a bit in the bottle after
replacing the cap to mix it up. I hope that won't slow it down any
temporarily before it starts up again. How does it usually work for you on
the second 'charge'? And how long will it go for again? (I have 2 cups of
sugar in my mixture)

thanx,
Dave.

"Jody" wrote in message
You can't do it indefinitely, but doing a second 'charge' has worked for

me.

Jody

"Jim Miller" wrote in message
iirc the problem is that while producing co2 the other output product is
ethanol which starts to poison the yeast.

diminishing returns...

jtm

--
Remove NOSPAM for email replies
"Jody" wrote in message
Well, you could try adding another 1/4tsp of yeast and see if you can

keep
it going another week or two. I would say 4 weeks is the max you will

ever
be able to get. Depending on the size of your tank, two bottles going

at
once via the T connector might be too much CO2; 26ppm is pretty high
already. You just have to use your best judgement on when to change.

If
you got an initial 0.5 drop in pH for example, and it comes back up more
than 0.2 or 0.3, you might want to change it or recharge it as suggested
with more yeast.

Jody

"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote in message
My C02 DIY has been running for 9 days now at 26ppm, 7.1ph. Now the Ph

has
gone up to 7.2, meaning I have about 21ppm of C02. I have an airstone
attached to the hose so I can't really count the bubbles but I believe

the
stream has slowed a tad. When should I hook up a new bottle? Or should

get
one going now and attach a new one with a T connector?

How much should the ph go up and c02 go down before changing? I don't

any
extreme changes to mess things up.

Dave.