Old 02-06-2011, 05:03 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Possibly a garden disaster

On Jun 1, 3:23*pm, "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
Weather here in SoCal has been freakishly cool. *May saw day temps in the
low 70s, many days of cloudy skies and nights in the very low 50s. *I waited
until May 1st to get everyone in the ground since April was just way too
cold. *This tiome of year the days should be mid 80s and nights around low
60s.

Yup, it's FUBAR. Freezing today, with strong wind. Good only for
drying clothes.
And they say Global Warming is a myth! I've been watching this
weather (So Calif coastal) for [censored] years, and I'm here to tell
you this is NOT normal!
May/Gray and June/Gloom are familiar phenomena, but not this COLD!

*So far my cucurbits have completely stalled out. *All of them, the
zukes, the cukes and the melon are still just cotyledons with very tiny
first leaves. *Now they have all begun to yellow. *All of them are
distinctly yellow at this point, actually. *And the cotyledons have not
grown like they usually do, they are still quite small. *I am sure it is
just too cool for them. *The four tomatoe varieties are not doing great but
they are doing something. *

Mine have plenty tomatoes on board; keep my fingers crossed.

My question is are the cucurbits salvageable or
should I plan on starting all over again? *The SoCal growing season is
pretty short. *

WHAAATTT???!!! Whachewtallkinbout! I grow all year. Just rotate the
crops according to the season.

If I don't have fruit on the vine by the time August roles (rolls)
around I won't have any at all. *So this is a hard call for me to make. *If
there is hope for them I can wait otherwise I have to replant and now.

I'm just putting melon seeds in now. But that's because I'm good at
putting off clearing the ground for new crops.

HB