Old 03-06-2011, 12:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Possibly a garden disaster

David E. Ross wrote:
On 6/2/11 7:32 AM, Bob F wrote:
Paul M. Cook wrote:
Weather here in SoCal has been freakishly cool. May saw day temps
in the low 70s, many days of cloudy skies and nights in the very low
50s. I waited until May 1st to get everyone in the ground since
April was just way too cold. This tiome of year the days should be
mid 80s and nights around low 60s. So far my cucurbits have
completely stalled out. All of them, the zukes, the cukes and the
melon are still just cotyledons with very tiny first leaves. Now
they have all begun to yellow. All of them are distinctly yellow at
this point, actually. And the cotyledons have not grown like they
usually do, they are still quite small. I am sure it is just too
cool for them. The four tomatoe varieties are not doing great but
they are doing something. My question is are the cucurbits
salvageable or should I plan on starting all over again? The SoCal
growing season is pretty short. If I don't have fruit on the vine
by the time August roles around I won't have any at all. So this
is a hard call for me to make. If there is hope for them I can wait
otherwise I have to replant and now.

Make a plastic cover for the plants - a cloche. That will help a
lot, and is how early gardeners here in seattle get started.

Do that, and the first sunny day will give you cooked vegetables.

People do it all the time.