Old 03-06-2011, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Davy[_3_] Davy[_3_] is offline

Default Apple tree, brown patches on leaves?

Barb wrote in
:

Hi, I have a very young apple tree, planted this

spring and only 5ft
tall. I've just noticed some flat brown patches on

some of the
leaves, and wonder whether you knowledgeable folk

could tell me what
it is?
Barb

"Check for Apple & Pear Scab: Scab is the most common
apple & pear affliction and is especially likely in
western areas of the country. You can easily see it on
the leaves as small round brown patches - these will
spread to the fruit if untreated. If your plants are
affected, you need to begin spraying (with Bayern
Rose?) as soon as the leaf buds burst and carry on,
according to the instructions until late July (not
during flowering, of course). If you are organic, use
a copper fungicide such as Bordeaux Mixture. If not,
use a recommended systemic fungicide for fruit trees.
Scab is not really a problem for domestic fruit
growing where blemishes are tolerated but is
disastrous for commercial growers."
Hope this helps, Davy