Old 06-06-2011, 06:26 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default What's happening to my grass!

On Jun 3, 11:01*pm, willshak wrote:
willshak wrote the following:

Bob F wrote the following:
johnmerrick wrote:

I have attached some pics of my lawn this month and one from April
(with the dog on).

The grass has been watered regularly and fed twice with Scotts lawn
feed. I have to admit that it seems to have deteriorated since I
applied the feed about 6 weeks ago.

any ideas on what i can do to salvage it? It has also been aerated
twice.

any advice appreciated.

thanks

Dog pee is fertilizer also. It may be fertilizer burned in spots by
the combination. Watering heavily might help that. The dog alone can
cause damage.

Urine has too much nitrogen to be placed in one spot. yyou may notice
that while the grass is burned in one spot where the dog peed, the
area around that spot is growing better and higher. If you can, dilute
the pee with *water before it can do damage. Watch the dog when it
pees and dilute it with a garden hose ASAP.

Don't dilute the dog, just the spot where it peed. :-)

.
I fertilize lighter more often, rather than using full strength
applications.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Agree it looks like dog damage.

From the info it's not stated over what time the fertilizer was
applied or how much. Excessive nitrogen can promote disease
during hot, wet weather, so don't over do it.
Also, when were the two aerations done?
Aeration can be a good thing if it needs it, but when you do
it does cause damage to the lawn and will kill some grass.
I would never do it twice in a short time. Best time is Fall and
if you needed to do it again, I'd wait until Spring.