Old 20-04-2003, 06:22 AM
Doug Sheely

Default algae bloom

Iain,
What are the pros and cons of a UV sterilizer? Will it inhibit plant growth?
I do not want to add any chemicals to the water as I believe that would just
throw the balance off. Is there a test for phosphates? I have not seen one
at LFS. I will look again tonight.
"Iain Miller" wrote in message

"Doug Sheely" wrote in message
I need some advice please. My recently converted fish only 55 gallon to

planted tank has a severe algae problem. When I converted to a planted

tank
I increased my lighting to a 110 watt power compact strip light on for

about
10-12 hours a day. After converting a month ago I had some algae growth

but
it wasn't too bad and I was able to control it by scraping the sides and

25
% weekly water changes. Today the tank is totally green with algae that
appears to be in the water. My plants are doing OK. Here are my water
readings as of today:

The general wisdom seems to be that it will clear in time - it might take
several weeks. Doing big water changes only seems to exacerbate the

problem
so although you must still do them, keep them at the 10-15% level. Keep

the
nitrates & phosphates down - don't overfeed. Get some fast growing plants

in
there.

Things that will get rid of it quickly

a) A UV sterilizer - expensive but permanent cure - also will kill

parasites
etc - you'll never get Ich with one of these on your tank!

b) Black the tank out completely for 3-4 days but obviously this won't do
your plants too much good and it may come back.

c) There is some stuff you can buy that will clear it (by making the tiny
bits stick together into bigger bits that your filters can catch) - again

it
may come back.

Otherwise keep persevering & looking after the tank & it should eventually
clear itself.

HTH