Old 07-06-2011, 04:58 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
CS[_2_] CS[_2_] is offline

Default Paving Stones over Concrete

wrote in message
snip
Paving stones are usually just set down on a sand base and then either
sand of stone dust is brushed over. Beneath the sand layer you need
a stabilized base. That could be just the existing ground material,
if
it's just gravel and firm enough. If it's soft soil, then it needs to
be removed
down far enough to get to firm material, then suitable material added
and compacted, prior to putting the sand down.

If the concrete you have is stable, then it could be OK from a support
standpoint as the base and you could go with the sand on top.
However, the concern
I would have is drainage. If the concrete is slab is intact, water
won't
be able to drain out effectively and it could be a problem with freeze/
thaw
cycles.

I'm near Los Angeles, so freeze/thaw cycles aren't a problem.

What would be the best way to attach them to the concrete? Or, should I
just lay them down and install solid borders to keep them from moving?

Thanks!

CS