Old 20-04-2003, 06:22 AM
Doug Sheely

Default algae bloom

LeighMo,
I currently am running a Magnum 250 cannister filter with a micron cartridge
installed. I have several species of plants :
purple cabomba (sp)
amazon sword
micro sword
red ludwig (sp)
giant hair grass
and a couple other taller plants to total about 20 bunches in tank.
I have susprected that my fish load is a little high but I have had most of
theese fish for a couple of years and am reluctant to part with them. I will
check the nitritre levels again tonight. thanks for your input!
"LeighMo" wrote in message
nitrate 20ppm
ammonia 0
nitrite .10 ppm

What kind of filtration do you have? Nitrite should not be measurable in

an
established tank.

Your tank may be overstocked. Some of the fish you have can get quite

large --
too big for a 55 gallon tank, in fact. They may have been fine when you

set up
the tank, but as they grow, it becomes harder and harder to maintain water
quality.

And you don't say what kind of plants you have. Your tank should be

heavily
planted, with a lot of fast-growing stem plants. That will help your

water
quality, and help keep the algae in check.

Leigh