Old 11-06-2011, 05:58 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Moving an apple tree...

"RachaelDavidson" wrote in
message ...

We've just purchased a new cantilever glass veranda for our garden
patio. At the moment there is a 5 year old apple tree in the space,
about 15ft tall.

We're wondering if we can dig it up and relocate it? Have absolutely no
idea how to do this or how to care fore the tree once it's been moved
(about 30ft). any guidance or suggestions would be welcome.

Yes you can dig it up and move it but do so in winter not whilst its in
active growth. You need to get as big a root ball as you can when you dig
around and under it - don't try this if you don't have adequate garden
tools - get a specialits or jsut cut it off and plant a new one in the new
spot. If you do try to move it yourselves have a heap of strong young male
friends on hand to help you to get plastic/hessian under the rootball and
then drag it on the plastic/hessian to its new hole and replant at the same
soil level as in its original position.