Old 01-07-2011, 01:42 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Help. I haven't got a clue!!

On Jun 28, 6:37*pm, Red wrote:
On Jun 22, 9:24*pm, "
wrote:

On Jun 22, 6:59*pm, songbird wrote:

For that size space and especially given that you're
moving into summer, I would definitely not be seeding.
If you want to establish turf now, buy sod or whatever
it is you folks in the UK call grass that you buy that
is already green and growing. *The best time for
seeding is Fall, when you have declinint temps,
far less competition from weeds, less watering
reqt, etc. * You can also do it in early Spring if you
have to, but now is the worst time.

As suggested, kill whatever is there with glyphosate,
(Roundup or equiv and NOT the extended length
product). * I'd apply it at 5% which should kill
everything in one shot in about 10 days. *Then you
can prep the soil and lay the sod. *Testing the soil
for at least PH would be a good idea too.- Hide quoted text -

Agreed, but with one addition: *prior to laying sod he needs to "fork
the soil" and rake it smooth so that the new sod has a loose base for
the roots.

The Brits like to inquire in this forum, but to my knowledge I have
never known them to identify their grass type. *I assume with their
latitude it's probably fescue of some type. *Does fescue come in sod
squares?- Hide quoted text -

I also would think that in the UK they are probably using fescue,
bluegrass,
and.or rye, just as we would in the northern parts of the US. Here in
NJ
tall fescue is frequently used as part of sod together with bluegrass.

As you point out, many of the people posting here fail to identify
what
kind of grass they have or even where they are located. The advice
for someone in Miami is going to be different than for someone in
Maine
or the UK.