Old 03-07-2011, 11:43 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Jim[_25_] Jim[_25_] is offline

Default One hyacinth made it

It is now two months since the lone hyacinth began multiplying. It is
really clear that they have a 'cover-the-surface' strategy. The many
hyacinths are sending out babies on 8" stems, going in various
directions.They cover about 4' x 6' of the 4 x 8 berm pond. They
cannot take over the remainder as I have parrots feather in the
remainder of the pond. When they hit the side, they send stems in
other directions. They have not started to grow tall, but I expect
that will come next.

I was also given a small group of water lettuce. It was about 6"
across when I put it in the other 4 x 8 berm pond. It liked its
home! The entire 4 x 8 surface is now covered with water lettuce. It
has outdone the hyacinth for surface coverage! Amazing, i didn't
think that could happen.

When I put either in the main pond with the koi, the roots get eaten
and the plants slow or die. If I have 4 x 6 of hyacinth inthe main
pond, it appears to be critical mass and it can hold its own against
the koi. Water lettuce have never been able to do more than not die.
Usually, it gets decimated by the koi.

I guess the warm summer has done its thing!

If anyone needs hyacinth or lettuce or water celery or parrots
feather, let me know. I would be happy to send you a small box for
the postage.

Jim