Old 07-07-2011, 02:23 PM
fletcher fletcher is offline
Registered User

Location: southwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie23 View Post
So, I'm about to lift some turf and lay some new turf as well as extending the area. However, I'm very much a garden novice and have a couple of questions I'd like to ask you lovely people.

1. Do I have to add top soil to the area before laying the new turf? Or can I just add sand to the existing soil? (I have it on good authority that the garden soil is very fertile)

2. Do I have to do the ground preperation immediately before laying the new turf or can I do it the day before?

3. The area I'm using to extend the lawn has existing weeds. After removing the weeds should I use weedkiller on the soil or will this effect the new turf.

4. Away from the new lawn now - I'm also putting up some raised decking. I've cleared an area which was heavy with weeds. Should I put some weedkiller on the soil before laying a membrane or will the membrane be enough to keep the weeds at bay?

I would be very greatfull if someone would be kind enough to provide me with some advice on these issues.
hi, go over it with a rake to get a fine level tilth,the day before is fine.probably better to spray then remove them in a couple of weeks,or just hand weed, no point in weed killer once theyre out.

regarding the membrane, it depends on the type of weed, but really you should spray and leave them to die down for a couple of weeks before putting it down. or pull them out, some weeds like brambles could pop through. also some membrane is better than others.
Brian Fletcher

www.sussexlandscapes.com