Old 07-07-2011, 03:39 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Help laying new turf...please!

jamie23 wrote:
So, I'm about to lift some turf and lay some new turf as well as
extending the area. However, I'm very much a garden novice and have a
couple of questions I'd like to ask you lovely people.

Why are you going to "lift some turf and lay some new turf"?

Is there something wrong with the current turf that new sod would solve.
If so, would removing sod and replaceing it solve the problem? If there is
something wrong with the old, why would new sod be any different?

1. Do I have to add top soil to the area before laying the new turf?
Or can I just add sand to the existing soil? (I have it on good
authority that the garden soil is very fertile)

2. Do I have to do the ground preperation immediately before laying
the new turf or can I do it the day before?

Do it in the days before. One day may not be enough depending on the area.

3. The area I'm using to extend the lawn has existing weeds. After
removing the weeds should I use weedkiller on the soil or will this
effect the new turf.

If using a weedkiller, you need to apply it to the weeds, not bare soil.

4. Away from the new lawn now - I'm also putting up some raised
decking. I've cleared an area which was heavy with weeds. Should I
put some weedkiller on the soil before laying a membrane or will the
membrane be enough to keep the weeds at bay?

What kind of weedkiller are you thinking about, since you already killed the
weeds. What kind of membrane?

I would be very greatfull if someone would be kind enough to provide
me with some advice on these issues.