Old 26-02-2003, 02:51 PM
Phisherman

Default power tiller: to get or not to get one

I don't have a tiller, but I do have a Honda lawn mover (after my
Lawnboy died). IMO, Honda has made the best small gas engines,
although they tend to cost a little more than the others. My main
garden is 20x20, and it takes 3-4 days to turn the soil using a
shovel...whew!

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 21:06:57 -0600, J Kolenovsky
wrote:

The Honda 1.5 hp, 4 stroke is a dirt devil. That little sucker just runs
and runs. In todays NHG magazine, I noticed they are marketed as
"Vortine" high-performance mini-tillers. They run very clean and the
transmission is solid. Weighs 20 pounds and is a one-hand tota around.
If you live in the greater Houston area, I'll be glad to demo the unit
for you.

pgh wrote:

I know this is subjective, but just to get a feeling for things,
could the experienced gardeners among you tell me how large should
your garden be in order to justify buying a powered tiller.

I have a bias toward simple things, but I figure at some point
doing things by hand is just too much.

Please, shower me with your opinions!